2020 — Mathcamp 2020 Puzzle Hunt
Department of Occult Investigations
Video: Welcome To Puzzle Hunt!
Click here for a link to the Meta-Puzzle
- Breaking News: Game of Four .
- Breaking News: Nose functions.
-Breaking News: Two to the N cult.
- Breaking News: Two Headed Monster .
Check your work.
It probably means something.
5*5 = 3*3*3 = 4*2*2*1 = 2*2*2*2*2 = 26.
Questions to Ask Yourself
``What information is contained in this puzzle that we haven't used yet?''
``Could this be a reference to external data (historical, geographical, etc?)''
``What do these things have in common?''
``Is this a real pattern, or does it only work some of the time?''
What do I do when I'm stuck?
Check your work. Check your teammates' work.
Try reusing a technique that worked earlier in the same puzzle.
Say it aloud.
Write it down and stare at it.
Go back and rewrite everything neatly.
Ask a teammate for insight.
Try to extract the answer using partial progress. nutrimatic.org is your friend!
What do I do with this list of words or phrases?
Is the list already alphabetized? If so, maybe you need to find the right order. If not, then the given order is important.
Read down the left side: take the first letter or word of each entry.
Read down the diagonal: take the nth letter or word from the nth entry.
If you have a list of words with a number associated to every word, try indexing that number into each word. (i.e., take the a_nth letter of the nth word.)
What do I do with these numbers?
If they are between 1 and 26, try A=1, B=2, etc.
If they are between 1 and N, and there are N items elsewhere in the puzzle, apply the numbers to that list.
Try math: write in a different base, factor, or look at the number of digits.
Google is your friend!
nutrimatic.org is your friend! quinaplus.com/qat.html is also your friend.
OneLook.com is good for finding words that fit a particular pattern.
Use online solvers for anagrams, sudoku, caesar shift, substitution ciphers, etc.
Standards: Morse code, Braille, 5-bit binary, semaphore flags
Weirder things: Roman numerals, NATO phonetic alphabet, airport codes ...
Great work agents. We've taken the liberty of unlocking some of your office.
- For your excellent work solving a case file, we've awarded you this dog.
- We've unscrewed the really tight lid on the pins for you. You should be able to use the colorful pins on the map now.
- We've hooked up your phone to the
- We weren't able to get you a promotion, but we've replaced your plant for you. Take better care of it this time.
- No news on that payraise. However, the shag carpet you requested has been installed.
- You're proving to be one of our most capable units. Assistant Director said you might appreciate this invisible gnome .
Submit an answer:
Request a call to discuss a puzzle.
Look for an interdepartmental collaborator